Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 13:24:00
Crash victim speaks of concern shown for her
Submitted by shaza on Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

NO APOLPGY NEEDED: Rosamiah was told by Ong’s family she and her husband were not at faultKUALA LUMPUR: Kindness and concern for others run in the family of Ong Kim Koon.

Although the lorry driver is still in ICU having lost his right leg — the victim of a hit-and-run motorist — his family has been checking on the condition of the woman he tried to save.

Ong, 52, was struck down by a car after he and a friend stopped to help a couple involved in an accident on the MRR2 in Ampang on April 11.

Yesterday, as he lay in the ICU at Hospital Ampang still unaware of his amputation because of his heavy sedation, Rosamiah Hashim spoke volumes of the care shown by Ong and his family.

“I apologised to them for what happened because I felt if Ong had not tried to help us, he would not have got injured,” said Rosamiah, 38, who is recovering from stomach injuries in the same hospital.

“However, the family would have none of it. They told me it was not our fault. Ong’s wife told me my husband and I should only focus on getting well and offered help if we needed any.”

Rosamiah and her husband, fruit seller Zainal Md Yusoff, 45, were heading to the city when a car suddenly overtook them on the fast lane near the Tesco roundabout in Ampang.

Although Zainal slammed on the brakes of his car, he was unable to avoid the vehicle that entered the highway from the roundabout and sped into the fast lane.

Ong and a friend, who had stopped to help, pulled Zainal to safety and left him on the divider of the highway.

He was helping Rosamiah out of the car when he was struck by a Toyota Estima, which was trying to manoeuvre its way out the congestion caused by the accident.

The Toyota Estima dragged Ong, who was stuck in the wheel housing, for a few metres.
The friend, who alerted the driver, freed Ong but the driver sped off. Ong’s leg was amputated to prevent infection in the bloodstream.

Zainal, who was also admitted to the hospital, was discharged on Friday.

Ampang police chief ACP Amiruddin Jamaluddin said the driver of the Toyota Estima lodged a report within 24 hours of the crash.

The car has been sent to Puspakom for inspection.