Friday, 26 October 2012 10:03
Donald rebuked over claim against Selangor govt
Deputy Finance minister Donald Lim has been taken to task over his claim in parliament that the Selangor state government had not built “even one unit of house” for people in Selangor over the past four years.
In separate statements, Petaling Jaya Utara member of parliament Tony Pua, Serdang MP Teo Nie Ching and exco for Housing, Building and Squatter Management Iskandar Samad lashed out at Lim for providing false and misleading statistics.
Pua and Teo pointed out that Selangor had clearly shown to the state assembly that 5,813 homes had been completed.
“This is a commendable 25 percent completion within a few years of administration. As a civil engineer himself, sure Lim would know that planning, approving and constructing houses isn’t like ordering a plate of char koay teow, where you will be served in 10 minutes,” they said.
The duo reminded Lim that building affordable houses was the responsibility of the Housing and Local Government ministry led by his party colleague Chor Chee Heung.
“It is because the Federal Government has failed to fulfil its obligations that the state governments of Selangor and Penang are forced to step in to build affordable homes to ease the burden of the rakyat,” they added.
Iskandar meanwhile said Lim should retract the allegation or resign from the cabinet.
He said Lim’s claims would be proven wrong next week, when he plans to show a list of all affordable housing projects currently under construction.
“This will give chance to Lim to retract his allegation,” he said.
Iskandar further said that the state’s affordable houses were cheaper compared to those built by the Federal government which are priced up to RM300,000.