Inside Story – Sultanate of Sulu : Pawn or legacy ?
Lahad Datu: Malaysia rejects self-styled Sulu Sultan’s unilateral ceasefire
LAHAD DATU update CNN
12 supporters of sultan killed in Sabah clash
Published on Mar 6, 2013
As an armed Filipino group asserts its claim over Sabah, we analyse growing tensions over the island in Borneo. Guests: James Chinn, a professor of political science at Monash University, and a commentator on Malaysian affairs; Harry Roque, a law professor from the University of the Philippines; and Lee Jones, a senior lecturer in international politics at Queen Mary and Westfield University, and author of the book ASEAN, Sovereignty and Intervention in Southeast Asia.
Published on Mar 7, 2013
(CNN) — A Philippine clan leader’s bizarre attempt to revive the territorial claims of a defunct Islamic sultanate on the island of Borneo appears to be falling apart.
With his followers engaged in a deadly game of cat and mouse with Malaysian security forces in the villages and palm oil plantations of northeastern Borneo, the self-proclaimed Sultan of Sulu is calling for a cease-fire after the U.N. secretary-general urged an end to the violence.
But Malaysia promptly rejected the proposal and said its security forces had killed more than 30 of the Filipino fighters on Thursday.
A Malaysian offensive
Malaysian authorities responded by launching an offensive using fighter jets, mortar shells and ground troops on Tuesday. They followed that up with what they called a “mopping up” operation, going house to house in the area, searching for the Filipino fighters.
But Kiram’s spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, said Wednesday that the Malaysian attack had missed its target, striking an area that the Filipino clansmen had already vacated. He claimed the group hadn’t suffered casualties.
A day later, Idjirani made the call for a cease-fire on behalf of Kiram, saying the clan was responding to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s plea for the fighting to stop.
But Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Kuala Lumpur won’t consider any request for a cease-fire as long as the armed intruders in Sabah refuse to lay down weapons unconditionally, the official news agency Bernama reported Thursday.
Later on, Ismail Omar, the head of the Malaysian Police, said security forces had killed 32 “militants” in Sabah on Thursday, including one they believed had the rank of general, according to Bernama.
Published on Mar 1, 2013
Nagkasalpukan na ang pwersa ng Malaysian police at grupo ng Sultanate of Sulu sa ilalim ni Rajah Muda Kiram. Ayon sa Sabah police, umabot na sa 12 ang patay sa Royal Security Forces ni Sultan Jamalul Kiram III at dalawang sundalong Malaysian naman ang nasawi. Mula sa Lahad Datu, Sabah, magba-Bandila si Henry Omaga Diaz. Bandila, Marso 1, 2013, Biyernes